It’s holiday season again and I’m taking a holiday with my family.
We’re not going far but we are going away and I am taking a break from the “every day”.
And it will be a proper break … no working on the sly.
When I set up Partners With You I stopped taking a complete break from work and instead I kept my phone and laptop with me, checked in and pretended to be at work for my clients. If I was going to the beach, I would say I was in a meeting and usually ended up rushing the family home so I could send the requested proposal or documentation.
The thing is, the proposals were never any good and my service levels fell. And that was despite messing up the holiday for the family. I often came back as tired and with the same headspace as I had when I left.
Some years back I decided something had to change. Communicating information to my clients and providing great customer service was still important to me, but I needed time away too. Trying to holiday and work at the same time means you do neither well.
Now you may not be running your own business but you may feel you need to stay in touch with work, be applying for jobs or sorting out life admin while still trying to take a break. And there is a pressure in feeling that you mustn’t work … life sometimes gets in the way.
So, here are my tips to help you holiday in peace:
- Tell people you are going away and put a bounce back message on your email to say when you are back.
- If you don’t have anyone else to check your emails set aside time at the end of the day to respond … and say that you are doing this on your bounce back message.
- If you feel the need to, give a mobile number they can text you on if they need an urgent response.
- Change your mobile message to say you are on holiday, tell them to leave a message if they want you to respond when you are back (give them the date) or to text you if it’s urgent.
- Resist the urge to answer your phone, pick up messages or check your emails during the day. They will text you if you are needed.
Invariably nothing will be so urgent that you get texted and you will get a proper break!
Try it and let me know how it goes for you below.